For Kiernen's birthday, he wanted a pinata. I'm all kinds of crafty, so I decided we'd make one. It was our very first time ever making one. What an experience! I forgot to take pohtos of the paper mache process - it involved newspaper, paper paste (wheat flour, water and white glue), a balloon, a bowl for stability, and a large jar as the frame for the stalk of the mushroom. (Stalk?)
We'd drawn on the outside of the balloon we used for the top, and when we popped it, the design transferred to the inside of the mushroom!
The stalk (?). So apparently there is a reason one would use a poppable balloon as a frame. I could NOT slide this off of the jar, despite having put a plastic bag between the paper mache and the jar. Because duh, once the paper mache was dry, it created a sort of vaccuum and made it impossible to slide it off. I suspect that in the future this could be avoided by just leaving some holes in....or better yet, using a collapsible base. I went ahead and cut it off, then resealed it together with tape and more paper mache. It worked just fine.
Kiernen and his Daddy did the painting.
Doesn't it look great?
No comments:
Post a Comment