September 12, 2009

on the road to recovery

Kiernen and I have been on a healing protocol for the last few days - a very intensive one. We're working to both heal our guts and Kiernen's teeth, as he has some decay and bacterial imbalance in his mouth.

Earlier we took out wheat and all sugars except fruit, and while that was a bit of an adjustment, it turned out to be not all that difficult. We eat a lot of raw foods anyway, so making raw treats from fruits and nuts was easy. When Kiernen's back molar chipped and I saw it had a hole in it, then I got serious and took the fruit out altogether, except one green smoothie a day. We'd already started on some of the highly nutritious foods that are meant for teeth healing (gut healing), like bone broths, high vitamin butter oil, grassfed meats and butter, and fermented veggies.

I am consulting with a series of dentists (a series because I am shopping around for a dentist I feel I can trust and who will listen and not just talk at me) on what the best treatment options are for his teeth in addition to the diet. We see the next one on Tuesday. It is amazing to me what kind of ridiculously invasive treatments pediatric dentists want to do on kids, and how in most offices they STILL use amalgam, even though they KNOW it is made of mercury. I am blown away by this. The dentist we're seeing Tuesday uses very high-tech equipment, including lasers, ozone, and serum tests to see which type of filling is most compatible with one's immune system. In addition to being a pediatric dentist, this man is a naturopath and uses biological dentistry. Finally! Now we're talking.

And so. This new protocol we're on starts out with very, very basic soups: animal fat, grassfed meat, lots of veggies, salt and pepper, fresh herbs only. This we ate for two solid days, and then we slowly, S-L-O-W-L-Y add in more foods. Like day 3: one raw egg yolk blended in with the soup. Day 4: two raw egg yolks, one in each bowl of stock. And we're on Day 4 today. We're to keep working up like this until we've managed to have egg yolk in every bowl of soup, and then we begin with another food, which is, in fact, soft-boiled eggs in the soup. We continue on this way, adding one food at a time, very slowly, for months.

This may sound crazy to most folks, but this protocol has healed very many kids' teeth, not to mention autism, ADD, ADHD, and a score of other issues, including allergies. People do it in different forms - some implementing the whole diet all at once, but my friend, who has written a book on the subject, strongly advises beginning with the Intro diet and taking it slow to have the greatest healing effect. And so we are. I will also mention that my friend has healed her own son of autism, of the very same teeth issues that Kiernen is having, and herself of many mental issues that she'd had her whole life. It is a very powerful healing protocol, and one I wouldn't even consider if Kiernen's teeth weren't in such a state.

The improvements we are already seeing are amazing. Just since taking out wheat and sugar Kiernen has been less timid, more willing to be without his parents right by his side. He has been making advances in his language and speech development.

When we began this protocol, first we had two solid days of REALLY tough detox. We were fragile, we were. Crying jags, lots of lamenting of foods we couldn't have, fatigue, irritability. Kiernen wouldn't leave my side - he wanted me and only me. He would have nothing to do with his Dad at all, and he wanted to sometimes be near his friends, but was too tired to actually play with any of them. He was too tired to walk, so I pushed him in his little umbrella stroller. I let him watch videos because really, dealing with the world was too much for both of us - and I really felt where he was coming from.

And then the fog lifted. Last night and today for most of the day, he was himself again. He played with friends, he was happy, he was Kiernen. I didn't get enough sleep last night, so today I've been pretty tired and have been having a difficult time dealing with the whining, which began again in earnest. And then more crying jags. And then lots of lamenting the foods he couldn't have (mostly these coconut ice cream bars we get that are sweetened with agave).

But. In between those times, when he was himself, he seemed more sane, more lucid, more clear. He was friendly and happy and when he played with his little friend who he generally tends to get into hitting scraps with, he didn't. He played well. He was calm and patient and understanding and he was the big kid, helping and explaining and allowing. He was amazing.

I suspect this is just another round of detox, as we are expected to go through several throughout this process. And I'll say honestly, if I didn't know people in real life who had been through this and come out the other side singing its praises, I don't know if I could keep this up, because it is HARD. It is hard for me, it is even harder for Kiernen. I honestly prefer a great deal of raw foods and veggie juices - this whole eating meat every MEAL, let alone every day, and this whole eating cooked food all day every day - I don't like it at all. I'm questioning it the whole way. And I cannot argue with results - the results countless people have had from following this program.

Is this the best way for us? I don't know. I am SO tempted to just do one of the other variations of this protocol out there and just implement everything all at once and hope for the best. But I think it IS important to detox. And my friend - she is one of the sanest people I've ever met. She isn't reactionary, she doesn't get crazy over things, she is just calm, rational, level and sane all the time. Even when she is FEELING anxious or panicky or fearful, she acts in a calm, rational manner. She knows how to set boundaries without being harmful to other people, even mentally. She listens respectfully when people talk, and she offers the most amazing insight into situations. She is clear-headed, she thinks things through, she knows how to take care of herself and her son, and even me, when I need it. I don't know anyone else like that. And her son is the same. Calm, rational, mellow, easy-going. He almost never gets into scraps with other kids (when he does, it is never started by him). He is an amazing little boy. And it is their diet.

And so onward we trudge.

Kiernen is asleep next to me now - this protocol, at least right now, is taking a lot out of us - we really are needing lots of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment